Employees at Chagres smelter
Anglo American aims to be the leading global company by becoming the investment, partner and employer of choice.
To achieve this goal, we promote the highest standards of operating excellence, safety and sustainability.
One of the core elements of our corporate strategy is our sustainability model.
Our sustainability model is based on managing and generating value in five areas of capital:
- Financial capital
- Human capital
- Social capital
- Natural capital
- Manmade capital
Here are some of the most important indicators of how we managed these areas of capital in Chile in 2009:
- The best historical production performance and work safety
- 5,993 businesses of small and medium-sized entrepreneurs supported by the Emerge Programme
- US$6.7 million invested in social and community initiatives
- US$584 million paid to the state in tax
- US$1.716 billion in profits
- US$926 million investment
- Our Business Principles were reviewed and relaunched
- New management systems were released for social and environmental performance
- Best sustainable development report 2007 and 2008, awarded by Acción RSE
- Best environmental performance report 2008 and 2009, awarded by Acción RSE
- Best economic performance report 2009, awarded by Acción RSE
- The Mantos Blancos division received recognition from Corporación Pro Antofagasta for its ongoing commitment to the city
- The El Soldado division won the Corporate Social Responsibility Prize, awarded by the El Observador newspaper of Quillota for its contribution to the Valparaíso region
- Bicentenary Seal 2008, awarded by the government of Chile for the Emerge Programme
- AmCham award for Good Corporate Citizenship 2005 and 2008
Safety awards and recognition in 2009
- The electrical equipment area of the Chagres division completed 31 years without any lost-time accidents.
- The Work Safety Institute (IST) distinguished Tranex Ltda., which moves earth at the El Soldado division, for completing 4 years without any lost-time accidents.
- Chile’s National Safety Council (CSN) highlighted the performance of Chagres with excellence in risk prevention, National Safety Council and risk prevention effort awards, and Mantoverde obtained awards from the National Safety Council and for risk prevention efforts.
- During the award ceremony of the Anglo American CEO Safety Awards, in which all operations worldwide participated, Mantos Blancos received a Mention of Honour in the Most Improved Operation award category and Chagres obtained the Outstanding Safety Performance award.
- The Latin American Association of Occupational Safety and Hygiene (ALASEHT) distinguished Mantoverde for its work in accident risk prevention activities and initiatives. This is one of the most prestigious and significant awards in Latin America.
- Mantoverde attained one year without any lost-time accidents to its employees and contractor companies.
- Chagres was distinguished for its improvement of accident rate indexes during the Leadership and Teamwork in Times of Crisis seminar, organised by the Workers’ Safety Association.
- The National Geology and Mining Survey (SERNAGEOMIN) awarded Mantoverde the Category B Subscriber Companies prize for its safety management.
- GDA and Logist and Service, contractor companies at Mantoverde, received recognition from the Workers’ Safety Association for applying and certifying the Competitive Company Programme.
- Mantoverde was awarded the John T. Ryan prize for the fourth time for its excellent work safety performance and Mantos Blancos was the runner-up. This prize is awarded each year by the Institute of Chilean Mine Engineers and the National Mining Board (SONAMI), SERNAGEOMIN and the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum (CIM).
- The external service company Sodexo completed 3 million man-hours without any lost-time accidents in its service and maintenance work for the Los Bronces division and the Los Bronces Development Project (LBDP).
- The Workers’ Safety Association distinguished the plant electrical equipment area of El Soldado for completing 20 years without any lost-time accidents.
- All the operations of Anglo American Chile maintained certification of their management system in accordance with the OHSAS 18001:2007 standard, after completing the internal and external audit processes.